Best Baked Oysters Ever!
Best Baked Oyster Recipe
This recipe will have your taste buds tingling as your mouth is taken on a journey of textures all held together by the sweetness of cheese and the slight tanginess of the oyster inside. One of my best creations and a Must Try recipe (even if you don't normally like oysters). Check out the full video on YouTube by clicking this link https://youtu.be/Mmq_Qsa1_rQ
1 dozen fresh oysters (shuck and leave in half shell)
200g grated cheese. I use cheddar cheese and parmesan
3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
2-3 cloves of sliced garlic
1 tablespoon lemon zest
100g Crispy bacon bits
1 tablespoon chopped fennel
Garnish: -chopped herbs
-wedges lemon (for serving)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C/ and prepare a baking tray aside.
2. After cleaning and scrub oysters shell. It’s time to shuck the oysters. Be careful with the knife but using a short, sharp, stiff knife, insert the tip into the hinge of the oyster. This is not easy but once inside run the knife along the gap between the top and bottom of the shell, separating the two as you move along. Try and keep the blade towards the flat side of the shell so as not to damage or cut through the main oyster inside. Scrape the top flat half into the bottom curved half and the top half will come away from the bottom. Once this has been done, use your knife to gently lift the flesh away from the inside of the bottom half and find the muscle that attaches the oyster to the shell. Cut through this and the oyster is now free from the shell. (** when you are doing this there can be a lot of liquid inside the shell and you can pour this into a cup for later use)
For Raw Oysters I serve with sliced garlic, chilli paste, lemon and deep fried shallots (you can use anything that you prefer).
For Baked Oysters
1. Arrange the oysters in the prepared baking pan. (See Video)
2. Top each oyster with chopped onions, sliced garlic, chopped fennel and crispy bacon bits.
3. Top all oysters with grated cheese and then sprinkle each one with the panko crumbs ( or breadcrumbs)
4. Bake the oysters in the preheated oven for about 10 -15minutes or until the oysters are cooked through and the topping is golden brown.
5. Take them out of the oven. Sprinkle with fresh chopped herbs /chives and serve with lemon wedges. ENJOY 😘😋